Monday, August 15, 2016

Letter from Pakistan on Independence Day: A thought for Partition survivors

For me, the story of Pakistan’s Independence is my grandfather’s story of survival. My grandparents brought my twin and I up because my parents were overwhelmed by the unexpected, simultaneous arrival of two girls. My grandfather was born in a village in Tehsil Batala called Fatehgarh Churian, which is in the Gurdaspur district of Indian Punjab. His life was pivoted on the memory of Partition: the exact number of days he spent in Lahore’s Walton refugee camp before his brother-in-law’s father discovered him, the number of annas he had in his pocket the day he escaped for his life alone, and the name of that Sikh neighbour who saved his family.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Ammara, very nice writeup. I want to send a PM, if you can message me on twitter or provide your email. I would appreciate. Thanks, Satinder @sbscheema

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails